dental insurance

Dental insurance is truly a wonderful thing. It is certainly not something that we should take for granted because dental treatments themselves can be quite costly. Being able to understand your level of coverage and getting the most out of your dental insurance is important, especially before it resets at the end of each year.

If you’re interested in acquiring dental insurance or you have questions about what it can do for you, talk to your insurance provider today and then contact our dental clinic in Millwoods.

What Does Dental Insurance Cover?

You may often wonder what exactly is covered in your private dental care plan, but dental plans can vary from one person to another and heavily depends on the type of plan they have. Most dental insurance plans cover the total cost of preventive dental care, including routine oral exams, dental cleanings, and annual x-rays. Some plans also offer coverage for specific basic restorative treatments such as dental fillings, but you may pay more out of pocket.

There are four categories available for most dental insurance plans: basic, comprehensive basic, major services, and orthodontic services.

Basic dental care: this plan includes preventative treatments such as dental cleanings and x-rays. This plan allows for your teeth to be professionally cleaned and x-rays will scan for potential cavities. This plan will not cover dental fillings.

Comprehensive basic care: this plan includes procedures such as root canal therapy and dental fillings. This type of dental plan is the most popular as there is a much higher cost attached to the provision of these services.

Major services: this plan covers more complex restorative treatments such as dental crowns, dental bridges, and dentures. Having insurance that provides this coverage is a good idea as these treatments are a major undertaking and can result in an expensive visit to the dentist especially when these treatments were unplanned.

Orthodontic services: this plan covers the diagnosis, prevention, and correction of misalignment of the teeth. Braces is the treatment that falls under this category, which focuses on the correction of a patient’s bite.

Common Misconceptions

The most common misconception that people tend to have concerning dental insurance is that, once they get it, they’ll have 100% coverage. This is usually not the case; rather, you’ll be provided with a certain degree of coverage that will either pay or help you pay for certain treatments. For basic dental appointments, you’ll receive the most amount of coverage while appointments for serious procedures like acquiring a dental crown, can be covered up to 50 or 60%. In rare instances, your treatment may not be covered at all, so you’ll have to pay out of pocket. This usually applies to cosmetic dentistry like receiving porcelain veneers or teeth whitening.

It’s also good to keep in mind that even if a process is fully covered by insurance you may need to cover the cost of additional fees.

Each company has a different set of rules, so always be sure to check with your provider or a dental clinic in Millwoods before committing to anything.

How to Maximize Your Coverage

Noted below are some tips to help you make the most of your oral health insurance:

Tip #1: Double-check for fee increases.

Unfortunately, this is quite common, especially if you require more specialized equipment, medications, or accommodations.

Tip #2: Know your deductible.

Your deductible refers to the amount you must pay alongside your insurance. Most plans operate on the 80/20 system when it comes to basic dental care – this means that your plan will pay for 80% of the cost and you’ll pay for the remaining 20%. Plans covering major dentistry treatments often follow the 50/50 rule.

Tip #3: Use your coverage!

It’s that simple. If you’re entitled to 2 dental cleanings each year through your coverage agreement, make sure you make the most of that opportunity and don’t let it go to waste.

Are you scheduled to undergo a dental procedure soon and want to know as much as you can about your dental coverage beforehand? Reach out to our dentist in Millwoods. We’re here to assist you however we can, so that you don’t encounter any financial surprises. Call or go to our website today!